Cromwell College Buildings

North was opened in 1954 and is named after Rev Frederick North, Principal of Queensland Congregational Theological College from 1917 to 1927. North houses males on the ground floor and females on the first floor

Thatcher was also opened in 1954 and is named after Rev Dr G.W. Thatcher, a former Warden of Camden Theological College, NSW. Thatcher accommodates males on the ground floor, and females on the first floor.

Dowling was opened in 1962 and is named after Rev F. V. Dowling, a Congregational Minister in WA, NSW, Tasmania and Queensland 1898-1930. Dowling accommodates males on the ground and first floors, and females on the second floor.

Hancock was completed in 1968 and was named after Mr V. E. Hancock CMG, the original benefactor of the College and late husband of the College’s first life Governor, Mrs M. Hancock OBE. The two wings of the Hancock building have for many years been affectionately known as Han and Cock. Han houses males on the ground floor and females on the first and second floors. Cock accommodates males on the ground floor, and females on the first and second floors.

Steele-Craik Lodge was named after Rev Alexander Steele-Craik, Vice Principal from 1967-70 and second Principal of Cromwell College (1970-72). Steele-Craik accommodates the Deputy Principal and his family upstairs, and offers male or female standard ensuited student rooms downstairs.

Lockley (previously named the Domestic Wing and then the Carmody Wing) was completely rebuilt internally in 1984 and named after the Foundation Principal, Rev G Lindsay Lockley (1950-1969). In 2010, the Lockley rooms above the ground floor were rebuilt as male or female deluxe ensuited rooms. The ground floor houses one gender in standard rooms.

Begbie was opened in 2011 and is named after the fifth Principal of Cromwell College, Rev Dr HM Begbie (1995-2010). Begbie is a coeducational facility that accommodates males and females in two and four bedroom pods over three floors.

Campus Lodge was opened in 1998. It comprises two small towers named Jarvis Tower and Bishop Tower. Jarvis was named after Miss Lenore Jarvis, Foundation Secretary of Cromwell College. Bishop was named after Mr Ken Bishop. He became a Board Governor in 1952, was a former Chairman of the Board of Governors, and a Fellow of the College. Campus Lodge provides two and four bedroom self-contained units with shared amenities within each unit for students who prefer independent living instead of the fully catered style of accommodation provided elsewhere at Cromwell College.

Return to History page